Monday, May 21, 2007

On the move with Crazy: Part 1

I wrote this before we moved, but thought it should be posted. So from, May 10th:

I waste no time. I am a crazy planner who worries and obsesses about the littlest details. Sometimes I even scare myself. I really scare my fiancĂ©. So when we decided to move, I started packing. I started sorting books and dvds of what comes with me, what goes to storage and can be sold/given away. Then, I kept going. My apartment is a mass of boxes. And I don’t have to be out until the end of the month. But at the end of the month we are going to Austin to see Jen and Chris and check out the city.

So, after about two minutes of discussion, we decided it would be much easier to use movers THIS weekend rather than spending it renting a truck and hauling stuff up the two flights of stairs to his place next weekend. I wasted no time calling people on Craig’s List, and quickly learned how incredibly CHEAP it is to hire local movers. Famous last words. But really, it is $65 an hour for 2 guys and a truck. My stuff will be all ready to go on the first floor, no stairs. We’ll take my stuff to his house, drop it off and pick-up some of his stuff that is going to storage. Then, they take us to the storage place and we drop off our stuff. Ta-da! Done! They do all the heavy lifting, we do the check writing. It’s a win-win situation.

In my perfect world, I will be in the new apartment by noon eating lunch and getting ready to unpack some stuff. Wait… in my perfect world I’ll be on the beach and come home later to my new, perfectly arranged, unpacked apartment. Where is that genie lantern when I need it?

No comments: