Tuesday, March 6, 2007

What's happened to parenting?

The New York Times ran an article about these women who are seen as baby gurus. I watch SuperNanny because I think she has some really good points on behavior. I guess, in the big picture, these baby gurus are just a more expensive, personal version of SuperNanny.

But, my question (and keep in mind I don’t have kids), is what have we all come to when people can’t control their own kids? Or trust that we know what we are doing? We rely on professionals for everything. Career counseling, weight loss, organizing our homes, cleaning our homes. But child rearing? I always thought that was something I could just call my mom for help with or ask my friends how they dealt with sleep issues. Click on some books on Amazon, and have an expert packaged in a book arrive on my doorstep.

I hear kids in shops ordering their parents around, and the parents acquiescing. I am appalled at how many ill-behaved, self-righteous, selfish children are out there. I’ve spent a lot of time babysitting and even being a nanny, and I wouldn’t let my charges speak to me like that. I am not going to pretend I am even close to SuperNanny Jo, but I can say no to a two year old.

Of course, check back with me in a few years when I am saying yes to my bossy, out of control two year-old so I can just get out of the store. It’s easy to be self-righteous when I don’t have kids. Who am I to judge? I might be begging for those numbers when I am holding my six-month old, screaming and crying. But, I have a feeling I’ll just be begging for my mom.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I second that! what happened to being parents instead of being best friends? Not in this house!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!